Friday, July 31, 2009

Changing careers and getting into Pharmacy (I think)?

I'm interested in getting into pharmacy and currently i'm two semesters into a community college pre pharmacy program. I have a bs degree in Geology from a 4 year state university I received in 2003, and currently i'm a geologist having no background in pharmaceuticals at all.





Tuition for the community college is on my dime, which is a reason why i'm going here, the second being i'll have a much stronger GPA (Currently have a 4.0 CC GPA, which I plan to keep, but BS degree GPA was a 2.73).





So long as I do well on the PCAT, what are my chances of getting into a Pharm D program if I fulfill about half of my prerequisites at the community college, bringing the rest from the 4 year university? Everything i'm transferring would be an A or B, with the exception of Calc II, in which I got a C.





I'll be heading to a Q%26amp;A at the Pharm D university i'm looking at in 2 weeks and will ask this question to admissions but thought i'd see what answers i'd get here first. Thanks in advance!

Changing careers and getting into Pharmacy (I think)?
It is all relative. Your chance of admissions depends on a lot of factors. This is undergrad school, age, pharmacy experience, gpa, pcat scores and etc. Going to CC may be a good thing, but many schools may hold it against you. However, since you got your BS already this factor is disregarded.
Reply:Even though everyone tells you that your overall GPA carries a heavy bearing on the admissions decision, it's really your science GPA. Since you're going to Pharmacy, I hope your Chem scores are high. Don't worry about the "C" in your Calc II class. It's not a good thing, but it won't be as bad as you think. I think you have a pretty good chance of getting in to Pharmacy school. Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment